You can view script guidelines from the most recent call below.
Please make sure to check out the general Submissions Guidelines page for a description of the call and access to the submission form. If you're still confused or need clarification, email us.
1. Submissions must address or highlight a pertinent social, political, or environmental issue. Use your best judgement when selecting a play. Think about what important issues the audience and panel might discuss after the reading. Examples of topics might include immigration, women's rights, gun violence, political corruption, racial justice, disability rights, or LGBTQIA* equality, just to name a few.
2. Playwrights should identify as Latinx and the play should feature at least one Latinx character. This time around we are seeking plays specifically representing a Latinx voice. Please do not submit your work unless you identify as Latinx.
3. Plays must be in English or up to equal parts English and Spanish. We are not currently accepting submissions that are Spanish-only, but encourage scripts that are bilingual.
4. Submissions must be full-length plays. This includes plays of one or more acts that are not significantly shorter that 75 pages. We are seeking plays that are over one hour in performance. This excludes 10-minute plays, stand-alone scenes, and one-act plays significantly shorter than 75 pages. We do not currently accept musicals.
5. Submissions must be unproduced scripts. For our purposes, previous workshop performances or staged readings do not count as productions.
6. Submissions must NOT be one-person shows. Talk Back Theatre is not currently producing readings that feature only one performer, even if that piece fits the other guidelines listed.
7. Submissions should NOT rely heavily on extensive movement/dance or media (projections, music, etc.). Scripts are not disqualified for including any of these elements. However, our readings have minimal blocking and we cannot accept scripts that require dance or other serious movement (including fight choreography), nor can we accept scripts the require projections or other media, including music. If you do not believe your script can or should be presented without any of these elements, please choose a different play to submit.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.